Wednesday, December 4, 2013

Round one: X

I had my first round of chemo yesterday. Such a whirlwind of people, and doctors and nurses! I got in the chair about 10:00 and things were somewhat quiet. More people trickled in and the place was full. I was out of there at 1:00 and the waiting room was packed! I felt so bad for these people. To me they looked like sheep waiting for the slaughter. So sad. I didn't feel like that though. I'd like to think it's the Lord living in me, that's keeping me strong.
Lot's more info thrown at me, and lots of drugs. I felt pretty good when I got home, but around 5:00 the nausea hit. I got sooo hot, then sweaty, then felt like throwing up. Nothing came up, and in a short time I felt better. I was able to make it to Abby's piano recital, but when I got home another wave of nausea hit. I was given pills to head off the sickness, but I felt too sick to take one. So I just went to bed and slept it off. I still feel a little queasy, but I did manage to eat some toast. I'm supposed to drink 4 quarts of water a day, but I only managed one yesterday. I should take an anti sickness pill now, but my stomach says blah and my mind says I'll get sicker. Scream! I really have no time for all this.
I was told my hair will start falling out by the next round of chemo which is the 17th. New hats on my Christmas list.
One of the drugs is red in color. They said my pee, sweat and tears may be red. I was kind of excited to see red sweat and some red tears. My pee was red, but I was too sick to look for red sweat, and I had no tears. I'm one to always cry at Abby's recitals. The kids do so good. But this time I had no tears. I wanted to shock the crowd with red tears. HA!
I go in later today for a shot to boost my white blood cells. That shot costs $5000! Are they crazy?!
Before I started my chemo, a woman came to me and asked me if I wanted to sign up for some insurance for this shot. They will submit it to our insurance and if they only pay a little or nothing at all, this insurance will pay for it. All but $25 out of my pocket will be paid. I asked her what the catch was. Will they come and take my first born? No catch. I asked her if many turn this down. Not many she said. So I signed up. Even if I get this shot more than once, the cost for me will be only $25. Such a blessing.
Anyway, God is good and worthy to be praised. I don't know what I would do without Him.

4 comments:

April said...

Round 1 is behind you...keep focusing on the final one! You are strong, Stephanie...you've got this! Keep the faith!

April said...

Round 1 is behind you...keep focusing on the final one! You are strong, Stephanie...you've got this! Keep the faith!

Sean and Lisa said...

Praying you through....I just keep picturing you in the palm of His hand...safe, protected and so loved!

amanda said...

oh friend.
can i make you a hat?
seriously. even more than one.
let me know what you'd like. just google crochet hats...and i'll make you one. two. whatever. :)