Thursday, February 2, 2012

100 Days

Tuesday was the 100th day of school. Abby's 1st grade had to wear something with 100 of something on it and then they were going to go to each classroom for a fashion show.
I had the brilliant idea (it was at the time) of using some buttons from Abby's great grandmothers. 50 from my grandma and 50 from Perry's grandma. After I sorted through all the buttons from both grandmas I placed them on the shirt before sewing, to try to make some kind of pattern.

Then I took tons of pictures so I knew where to put the buttons once I took them off the shirt.
I placed them on the table just as they had been on the shirt. My cat thought they were there for her to shove off the table with her paw.
Some of these buttons are very pretty.

I sewed the first 10 buttons on and I was pretty much done. The thought had crossed my mind as to how much of an idiot I am. I am not a sewer. (that looks like sewer, as in the pipes that your poo goes in, but it's not. HA) I am not a sew-er.
But I already had sew holes in the shirt and Abby did need something for 100 day, so I pressed on. One button at a time. 70, 60, 50... 20 more to go. Those last 20 were at the bottom and were just clipped on. No sewing.
I worked at it for a little while for 3 days. Finally I sat down and finished the thing. It weighed quite a bit, and the bottom buttons that hung off the shirt were kind of noisy but Abby loved it.

Yup, there's 100 on there.
Those 100 days went so fast. Soon it will be summer vacation, then possibly home school next year. If that's the case, then on our 100th day of home school, we will count 100 M&M's and eat them of course. 25 for her. 75 for me.

5 comments:

Amanda said...

I can't believe how big Abby is! Very creative idea for her shirt...too cute. :)

Bridget said...

Oh my gosh, that shirt is so cute and she looks so adorable in it!!! Bring on Spring Break :)

100 buttons....that's dedication and I am awed. I lose interest after sewing on two :-0

Sean and Lisa said...

You go girl! Not only creative but determined too. What a pretty shirt. I'll just bet she was the cream of the 100 days of school crop. How blessed she is to have you for her momma! I don't know...I think I would have hot glued those baby's on or something. HA!

Homeschool maybe? How exciting....
Much love!
Lisa

Melissa said...

love the shirt! super cute idea and very creative!! :)

~Mistee~ said...

You are one crafty mama!! Love the shirt and what a sweet idea behind it!! I also like the m&ms part.. ;-)