Wednesday, September 23, 2009

A small rant and other stuff

I have a tiny need to rant.

Today was picture day at Abby's preschool.

I dressed her, and had her hair the way I wanted her to look. I imagine most parents do that.

She gets out of school and I ask her about her day.

I get to the part about how picture taking day went.

I ask her how they had her pose and if they had any flowers or any other decor around her.
She told me they had her sit on a rock and had some flowers around her.
I was OK with that.

Then she tells me they had her put on a hat.

WHAT! If I wanted her to wear a hat in her picture, I would have put one on her!

I asked if all the pictures were with a hat on and she said maybe 1 or 2 she did not have a hat.

There better be good non hat pictures.

I have nothing against hats, I just don't want her preschool picture with a hat.

My rant is over, and after reading that it kind of sounds silly.

On another note about preschool, Abby made a new friend.

She seems to play with this same girl every time she is in school, and they are already talking about play dates.
She has seen her big sister go on her playdates and she is so thrilled to be able to be going on her own.

She has another friend at school, but it seems like they are drifting apart.
Phoebe and this girls big sister went to preschool together and hit it off great. They were always together and had playdates all the time. So naturally her mom and I thought that our 2 little ones would be the same way when they hit preschool.

Not so. They are friends, and play together at times, but they seem to each have their "best" friend that they go to all the time. And that's OK. It's just another part of her growing up. (sniff)
She is finding out who she's comfortable with, and has the most fun with. As much as I would love to pick out her friends for her for life, and steer her away from the bad seeds, I have to let her find out these things for herself. I can guide her, and hope and pray she makes the right choices.

Boy oh boy, it's just preschool... seems like I have a lifetime of school stuff to deal with yet. Am I ready for the first girlfriend fight? The teasing? 1st loves, 1st heartaches, and all that stuff that goes along with boys? Heavens no! God be with me!


Actually Phoebe had a slight dilemma the other day. I had to chuckle, but I didn't let her see it.

I pick her up from school and ask her how her day went.

Here's the conversation:

Me: How was your day?

Phoebe: (big sigh) Ohhhh, it was OK.

Me: What does that mean?

Phoebe: Oh, some of the girls are fighting over who is going to play with me at recess.

Me: (silently chuckling) Really? What's going on?

Phoebe: Well, A. wants me to swing, and N. wants me to play on the bars, and N. wants to do such and such.... and I like to play on the bars, and I don't know what to do.

I gave her some suggestions on how to include everybody involved and she said they were good ideas and if they didn't like the ideas, then she was going to just play on the bars because that's what she likes to do.

So yesterday when she was going to put all of this in to play, it rained all day and they did not get to go out for recess. We'll see what today brings.

So that's my life as a mom lately. Such fun.

7 comments:

C.C. and Double T said...

Wow. Thinking of parenthood that way scares me. ;-)

He & Me + 3 said...

Oh the joys of school. The drama starts so young these days. I remember our kindergarten drama with Actress. She had to wear her ugly clothes because one girl was jealous of her pretty clothes. OK...crazy I tell ya.
I hope the non hat pictures turned out cute too. How could they not...Abby is adorable. Kindof strange though that they would just put hats on kids for pictures.

Anonymous said...

I have to agree with hats.. plus if they are putting the same hat on every child.. thats a great way to spread lice! I've have to complain ;) Hope the pics turn out good!

McCrakensx4 said...

Oh my...such drama already in pre-school! The joys of growing up! I am so with you on the pic thing though...you dress your child the way you want the pic to look and then pay for it! I hope you get a good one!

Bridget said...

I would be a little upset about the hat pictures, too. Kyle wears a uniform to school but on picture day they can change into something else for the picture. There have been three years where he didn't bring extra clothes and so I have a hard time telling which grade he's in in which picture. Hope you get some good pics without the hat!

Anonymous said...

You know, as I was reading this, I was trying to imagine why a photographer would do that. Maybe she wanted to make the pictures very special and unique. A lot of photographers do bring hats and other things for parents to choose from when they have sessions.

I am sorry for your experience. I have learned that different photography styles are very subjective. Some people LOVE something and other people hate it. It is hard!

I am going to go look at the pictures now: )

wife.mom.nurse said...

We are dealing with friend issues with my girl...sixth grade... still not worked out.

(sniff)

girls and friends, not an easy thing.

You are a good momma!