Thursday, April 23, 2009

And the meanest parents in the world award goes to...

Poor Abigail. What happened tonight was sad, but my husband and I just had to laugh.

We were eating supper and the tornado sirens went off. I knew they were testing them all day but the others in my family did not. I even mentioned that, but Abby didn't get what we were talking about.

At this time an announcement came on the t.v. that this was a test, but everybody should practice doing what one needs to do in an actual tornado.

So I started saying "Tornado! get to the basement." But I didn't move, just kept right on eating. Phoebe knew what was going on, so she practiced running to the basement. Perry got loud and crazy, screaming (teasing) AHHHH tornado, get in the basement. Abby ran with Phoebe, screaming..."get my binky!" "get in the basement".

Awww, poor Abby. She thought it was the real thing. But we didn't realize that. She got to the basement stairs when we called to her that it was just a practice. Whoa...she was mad at us!
She screamed at us, "I hate it when you lie to me!" Oops. Did we lie? We thought everybody was on the same page, and we were having fun with it.

She was so mad and crying and so scared. Then I felt bad. But it was so cute, that I had to laugh. Only I had to hide it from her, cuz she was not happy with us. Then I had to explain that if there is a real tornado, please just get in the basement and don't go looking for binky. She's quite attached to her blanket. See. (it's been sewn since this washing) Anyway, bad idea to tease a 6 year old and especially a 4 year old about tornado sirens. So I'd like to thank the academy for this "meanest parents in the world" award. May it be a reminder to us that we are not to joke about tornado safety to our children. We have learned our lesson.

7 comments:

Stephanie @ dirtandlace.com said...

Haha, I agree... sad but cute.

Elaine at Matters of the Heart) said...

Awww, poor baby.

amanda said...

lol. funny. except i will never go in our basement in case of a tornado. i will drive to yours. sounds like yours would be more fun!!

Sneaky Momma said...

Poor thing! Love how worn out her blankie is. Must be really special. :)

He & Me + 3 said...

Poor baby...my kids get that way too sometimes over things we say. Can I borrow the award too?

heidi said...

Awwww! ! Poor little bug.

You are SO mean.

Tee hee

Femin Susan said...

Poor baby....