Friday, October 8, 2010

Another Week


I was able to chaperon... we interrupt this post. I just looked up chaperon in the dictionary because not having an "e" at the end of chaperon looks odd. Both spellings were in there. "e" and "e"-less. I prefer chaperone with an "e". I thought I knew what a chaperone was. According to Mr. Webster, I thought wrong.
My meaning of the word is an older person who supervises younger ones. Nope, it's an older woman who supervises younger people. So if it's a woman, then what is a man called that supervises younger people? I'll have to research that.

OK back to my week. I was able to chaperone (because I'm an older woman) Abby's field trip to a pumpkin patch and farm. This was my first time I could do this. I never could with Phoebe because I always had Abby.
Honestly, I don't think I missed out on anything back then. It was fun and all that, and I did have a nice time, but I'm not in to that many kids the same age. I admire and thank all you teachers out there.
Anyway, here's some pictures of our time on the farm.


She also got to pet/feed turkey's, sheep and goats. She milked a cow, went on a hayride, and picked her pumpkin from the field. Here's where my chaperoning dread came in. One of the little girls tried taking 2 pumpkins. I told her she was only allowed one. She could care less what I had to say. I told her again and again that she had to pick only 1 and leave the other one. She didn't listen to me. She started walking out of the field and then one of the teachers saw that she had two pumpkins in her pillow case. She asked the little girl if she took two pumpkins and she didn't answer. So I told on her. I was the mean chaperone. I let the teacher take care of it. Lots of whining and wrestling of pumpkins went on. The teacher won. I think I'm done being an older woman who supervises younger people.

Phoebe had an appointment for her broken leg today. There is some more improvement. She will go back in 2 weeks. There is an 80% chance that she will get her cast off. If it comes off, she will still need the crutches and gradually get to put weight on her foot.
She's getting around great on her crutches. She also got the pen cap out of her cast that got trapped in there last week. I was hoping she wouldn't. I wanted to see it on her x-ray.

7 comments:

Beth E. said...

You are a hoot! I think we'd get along famously. I'm not much for supervising large groups of kids, either. And the little girl trying to sneak out two pumpkins...I could just see you tattling on her! lol

I'm glad you still were able to have fun. Abby looks like she had a blast!

Tell Phoebe to hang in there...only a couple more weeks to go!

Hope you have a great weekend...

Cheeseboy said...

I wanted you to post pictures of the xray with the pen cap.

I hate field trip day. You look good at it. Want to substitute for me this year on that day? I think it pays 75 bucks. Double that and it still wouldn't be worth it.

McCrakensx4 said...

Yes...I must say that field trips are a hoot. Nice show down with the little one...what a stinker. I have a few like that in my class. But the pumpkin patch is always so much fun and seems as though she was able to do lots of different things.
Glad that Phoebe is feeling better with her leg and getting to school...that is hard. We had a kinder break her leg last year and she was in a full leg cast for what seemed to be a long time!

He & Me + 3 said...

You are too funny about the word Chaperone. I thought it was an e too.
How fun. I love to chaperone class trips too. That way I get the pictures too :) Looks like it was a fun trip.
Hope the cast comes off next visit.

Bridget said...

Yes, I think chaperone looks better with the "e" on the end of it, too. Sweet pictures of Abby and hoping Phoebe gets her cast off in a couple of weeks (although I'm lovin' the purple) she is a trooper!!

Libbie said...

I used to be a first grade teacher & I still do not look forward to being a chaperone. One good thing at our school is that we are all required to get 30 hours of volunteer work in & so we get tons of volunteers & usually end up with only 2 kids :) Now that I can handle :) But yeah....I would have been after that little girl too! The nerve! Especially after you talked to her! If it were my own kids she would have left with none :)

Phoebe looks like she is doing a great job on her crutches! but I know that purple cast is cuter than it feels :) Hope you guys are having a great start to fall!!!

amanda said...

i love reading your posts, especially because i've met you, so i can 'hear' your voice telling the story! i would've been a mean chaperone too! kids.