Off to Walmart that is. He needed more hooks and bobbers and I decided at the last minute to get a fishing license. Now we're off. To the gas station that is. He needed worms. OK, now we're off. 20 miles to a fishing hole. Really it's a lake. We get to the lake 20 miles away and find out that Perry does not like it at this lake. His sister told him it was a good place to fish. So much for little sisters advice. We're off. Back to our neck of the woods. There may or may not have been a fight between the adults on the way back.
We are now at a local park about 5 miles from our house. Jazzfest is going on at the park which makes for tons of cars, but we find a quiet place to fish in some canal. A canal where boats park. The water is filled with gas and oil slicks. Yum, can't wait to catch fish in here. Someone may or may not have been still mad.
But on with the fishing.
It didn't take long before the fish were biting. I'd want to eat too if I had to live in that gas and oil infested water. The girls were excited to see the bobbers go under water and they learned quickly how to set the hook and reel in the fish.
Phoebe caught the first fish, and as I ran to get the camera, Abby had a fish on her line too.
Look at this fish! It's almost as long as the canal is wide!
OK not really.
Abby's first catch.

They caught perch, bluegill and bass.
They were excited with every nibble and catch.Abby and I were sad when putting the worms on the hook. At first I didn't mind, but when I saw them (the worms) squirming as I was stabbing them with a hook over and over, I started to feel sad for them. But that didn't stop me from continuing my stabbing.
Of course it started to rain. What fine fishing day doesn't have a little rain in it. But we fished on, and continued to catch fish.
Even I caught a fish and was ready to give those fish lips a kiss. He didn't want one, so I threw him back.Hours spent getting ready for first fishing trip... 2
Money spent on the tiniest worms ever... $4
Money spent on bobbers and hooks... $5
Money spent on a fishing license... $20
Miles spent driving to a place we didn't fish... 20
Miles spent driving from a place we didn't fish... 20
Number of minutes spent fighting about this... 10
Number of nibbles.... many
Number of fish caught... 10
Number of smiles by happy, excited children... lost count
Seeing the smiles on happy excited children.... Priceless!
We may go again today. Someplace different, where we will catch fish with some length and weight on them. Some that we could actually keep and eat.
Happy Labor Day.



7 comments:
What a great time...love all of those smiles. My boys have fished a few times and have really enjoyed it too. Here's to many many more fish!
Quite the fishermen there, or is it fisherwomen or fisherpersons. Whatever, it looks like they had a great time.
An Arkies Musings
What a great post. Looks like everyone eventually had a good time! lol You cracked me up with the parts about the adults fighting. ;-)
Holy crud - those fish are adorable. There is nothing more fun than watching a kid reel in a fish.
Even with all that I would still rather fish with you guys than my hubby! Double all those numbers but change the fish caught to ZERO & that is about how fun it is with him :) LOVE the caught fish pics! The girls look so cute with their catches!!! I know what you mean about the worms though... :)
That is so cool. I used to love to go fishing with my dad. So glad the girls enjoyed it.
that looks like so much fun! i can't believe how big abby looks. they grow too fast!!
Post a Comment