
Today was the day I visited the dentist. *pretty squeamish stuff coming up*
Not for a routine cleaning mind you. Today was the day that pieces of my mouth were removed and attached to a different part of my mouth.
I went in not nervous at all. I didn't want this done, but I wasn't nervous.
It seems the bone that attaches the bottom teeth is getting pretty tiny.
So to keep things a little stronger down there, my dentist scalped a piece of the roof of my mouth and grafted it to the gums on my lower teeth.
Even though my dentist is around 80, he still has a steady hand. For which I am very grateful!
Seeing that scalpel moving around in my mouth is quite the sight to see. I knew he was cutting, but what the heck was all the sawing and moving around? I figured out that after the first slice, he was separating the slices, so he could tuck the piece of "roof of mouth" inside, then fold the flaps back over it. I was quite numb at this time of course. It was interesting to be going through such stuff and not feel a thing.
Seeing all the blood on his gloved hands was yucky. He kept using the same piece of bloody gauze to sop up my bleeding gum. I would have suggested a fresh piece, but I couldn't seem to get the words out. Then I could feel those bloody gloves brush against my cheeks. Not cool. But at the end, the nurse cleaned my face like I was a little kid. Ha!
OK, that's just the first part. While my bottom gum hung open, he went to the roof of my mouth and shaved a piece of skin off like he was making chocolate shaving curls. Once out of my mouth, I saw him trying to straighten the shaving up. I have very pink almost white roof of mouth skin. He got that straightened out and gently placed it in its waiting nest.
With that finished, he needed to sew it in place. I was told he would use dental floss, so I was expecting some thick string hanging in my mouth. It was more like fishing line. He made some good stitches, snipped them off then did the same with the roof of my mouth. Then he put some silly putty like goop on the roof of my mouth, on the inside of my lower teeth (which I didn't discover until I could feel my tongue again several hours later), and the outside of my lower teeth. If I were to smile, it would look like I have a wad of gum stuck to my teeth.
That was the end of that and I drove home.
Once home I attempted to eat some yogurt. It went well except for the chunks of fruit in it. I'm not used to chewing on the right side of my mouth.
I went to bed and took a 3 hour nap. Woke up drooling a few times, and didn't even feel it. Ha!
Eating is kind of difficult, but I managed a little pasta and some watermelon. I had to check to see that it was food I was swallowing and not the wads of silly putty.
All in all, I have very little pain. I even managed to go search out a geocache tonight with the girls.
I go back on Thursday for a quick check, then back in 10 days to get this silly putty and fishing line removed. Hopefully this will keep my teeth in forever.



8 comments:
sounds like fun...or not!! hope the pain stays away!!
Oh my! Glad you're doing well after that!!
You poor thing! I had my grafting done at the same time as I had my wisdom teeth out. They knocked me out cold for the procedures. I cannot imagine being awake! I'm glad that you tolerated the surgery well. My recovery was pretty darn painful. :(
Oh my gosh yuck. I think that might be coming my way very soon. Thanks for the heads up. Glad you are in little pain. That could be very painful.
Step,
The giveaway is up now for free 4 all friday. http://scrapadoodledoo.blogspot.com/ Please stop back by for a chance to win a gift card.
It is so nice to be back to your blog...
But, I am so sorry you had to go through such an intense dental procedure...yeouch!
It sounds like you are doing well and I am so glad to hear that.
Take care of you!
~Julie
"pieces of my mouth were removed and attached to a different part of my mouth."
Ugh!!!
I would have asked him to punch me in the face until I was out. Just keep punching me until you can tell I am unconscious.
My father once said to me, if you find yourself in a dark place with a handful of nuts, watch out! LOL!
Post a Comment