Monday, June 15, 2009

The Most Welcome Tenants

Every year, for the past 3 years a Finch family builds a nest between our porch light and house.

They do this in early spring. Too cold for me to put my hanging baskets out. But when I do...

they quickly abandon the porch light home and build one in my flower pot.


Mama Finch lays her eggs, and sits on them all day and night. If we go out the front door, she flies out of the nest to a nearby tree. She doesn't squawk at us, but chirps once in awhile to kindly let us know that she needs to get back to her babies.

Yesterday, it rained real hard, so we sat on the porch to watch it come down. Of course mom finch left the nest to sit in the tree. After a while, and being a mom myself, I shooed everybody back in the house, because I felt bad for mom bird sitting in a tree getting all wet. I'm sure it's not fun sitting on your brood with a wet hiney.

I wish she knew we wouldn't harm her or her eggs, so she wouldn't have to fly off every time we came out.
Soon we will hear the pitter patter of tiny peeps. Mom has also been kind enough to let us take peeks at her babies, without her attacking us. I will post pictures of her tiny new family when they arrive.

10 comments:

He & Me + 3 said...

How cool is that? Great pictures and I can't wait to see when the eggs hatch.

E @ Scottsville said...

We have a barn swallow family that comes back EVERY year. And every year we have 5 or 6 babies out there. Kinda neat. =0)

How come two eggs are big and three eggs are tiny? Are two by the daddy-bird and three by the milkman???? =0)

Beth in NC said...

What great pictures! We usually get them in our ferns. ;o)

Bridget said...

Too neat!! Can't wait to see the pics of the baby birdies! :D

Anonymous said...

Aww! The little eggs are so cute! And isn't it just amazing how they make those nests??

Five Moms & A Blog said...

Hey, I've got my map all done... and I'm hopping in the car now! Be ready for me! (I wish!)

{{ding dong}}

"It's me! ERICA!!!"

=0)

Elaine at Matters of the Heart) said...

This is so neat. Loved the egg/nest pictures. I sure can not wait to see the baby birdies.

amanda said...

i love those pictures!! we had a massacre of dead birds on our driveway this year. three dead. i think the mom made them fly the coop a little too early or something. but it taught the girls life and death. or something like that. amelya wanted to know WHY they weren't flying anymore. i am not sure if i ever commented on your date night post or not. well your not so date night i guess. too bad about him getting called into work!! and we would've loved for you to be at my mom's party. hope you enjoyed this beautiful weather we had today!! we've been gone/busy all weekend. i so need to get caught up again. on my house. on my blog. on all your alls blogs. but because it's almost eleven and shaun just got in from his field work. i'm off to eat supper with him....

Jill @ Sneaky Momma said...

Beautiful egg photos. :)
I think it's awesome that you welcome the birds on your porch. We have barnswallows that return to the same nest on our porch every spring. It's so much fun for the girls!

Unknown said...

Those eggs are so pretty. What a neat thing for your family to enjoy an up close and personal nature lab :)