I went to pick up Phoebe from school yesterday. I had to go to the bathroom real bad, but I forgot to go at her school. I mentioned to Phoebe on the way home that I had to pee bad, and she suggested I use Perry's urinal. (Remember, car wash, urinal on front seat when I picked up the car, me, embarrassed to death?) If not, the post is from a few Not Me Mondays ago.
Anyway, I explained to Phoebe that it would be very hard for me to pee in that urinal. She offered a few suggestions of how I could go about it, but I still said it wouldn't work.
I said it's easier for dad to pee in it. She said, "That's because he has a weeee-ner?"
Um, yeah.
I asked her if she knew the proper name for a weeee-ner, and she had to think a minute, but she knew. OK, no big deal.
Then she brought up the subject of having babies. She said she was sure that somewhere in the world some man had a baby. I said no, men can't birth babies. She said it was possible, but I said no, it's not possible. God didn't design us that way.
Then she brought up seeds from men and eggs in women. We did tell her this much about baby making. She said, "I understand that men have the seeds, and women have the eggs...but HOW does the seed get to the egg to make a baby?"
Are we home yet?
She's in 1st grade. 6 years old, going on 16, but none the less, 6.
She is mature for her age, but I'm not ready for her to know THAT much about how babies get inside the mom. I'm not scared or embarrassed to tell her, I just don't think it's time to tell her the detailed facts of life.
I did tell her that it's a beautiful, personal way, of how a husband and wife show their love for each other. And there is more to know, but I thought she was too young, but when the time comes, I will tell her more. And that I was going to talk to dad about what she asked to see if he thought she needed to hear more yet.
Perry thought I handled it just fine. But in no way when the time comes is he going to be the one to tell her. :-D He said she'll probably hear about it on the playground. Maybe, but I hope she comes to me with what she heard, so I can explain how God intends this to be, instead of playground giggles.
She didn't ask any more about it. She's satisfied with what she heard. Whew.
Anybody else deal with this at such a young age?
**************************************************************************************
Abigail has diarrhea and throwing up today. Yippee, here we go again. Does it ever end?
*************************************************************************************
Mimi @ He&Me+3 is having a week long, 1 year blogaversary party over at her blog. She's giving away some great things if you just go over and comment. She's picking winners tomorrow, so hurry over and check her blog out. She's sweet, sweet, sweet, and will not mind newcomers.
Friday, April 3, 2009
Subscribe to:
Post Comments (Atom)



5 comments:
Poor Abigail!!
We dealt with it because I was pg with Corban when the girls were 4/5 & 6/7. I used this book: http://www.amazon.com/Baby-Way-Sears-Children-Library/dp/0316787671 to help and justtried to explain it in terms that were age appropriate. Like I told Cara that mommy's have a very special baby tunnel and that's ho whte babies get out. When asked how the baby got IN there, we said "God put him there." At the time, that was all they needed to know, yk? LOL I think you did fantastic!
Yikes on the birds and bee talk already. I am so scared for that day to come. I dread it.
Sorry about Abigail being sick. I am sorry for her and you. I know it is so hard when your kids are sick. I would rather it be me. I hate to see them miserable.
Thanks for the shout out. yOur comments were killing me. Too funny! Thanks for making my blogoversary so much fun! Really!
I love how honest you were with her. You didn't lie. I like the way you told her there was more to it and she could learn about it later. No lies, but no graphic details either. I'd like to think that this is how I will handle this situation with my girls. :)
oh dear. i'm so not ready for those days to come. it's hard enough answering questions in the bathroom pointing at tampon dispensers. i tell them they are like diapers for mommies. lol. oh geez. my mom didn't do such a good job explaining ANYTHING to me. so i've vowed to do it. openly and honestly. i'm just hoping amelya is way over six...you know like seven, before she asks. :0) love the story though...
UGH, I am so not ready for anything like that. I think you did a great job...
I'll be praying little Abigail gets better soon.
Post a Comment