End of Summer: I noticed a lump in my breast. Thought it was everything else but cancer. Watched it for a few weeks then brought it to the attention of Perry. He said I should just go get it checked out and find out it's nothing. I knew he would say that and it's a good thing. I don't listen to myself when I should, and I knew Perry would push me to go.
October 9, 2013: Walk-In-Wednesday at the Breast Center. Good thing again. I'm not good at making appointments for things like this so walking in any time on Wednesday works for me. Routine mammogram, (if you can call smashing boobs, routine) and I'm out the door with a friendly, "We'll call you in a day or two if we see anything of concern."
October 10-21: No call. I knew I wouldn't get one. Whew! Safe for another year. Now where's my letter saying all is well?
October 22: Call from the Breast Center saying they need me to come in for another look at one of my breasts. It took so long because they had to get my first mammogram from NC. Crap.
October 24: Got my letter saying all is well. Called the BC and they said "sorry, that is a mistake, we need to see you." Grrr.
October 25: 2nd mammogram, followed by an ultrasound, and yippee, they have time to do a biopsy, do I? What can I say? No? Biopsy too, followed with a "We'll let you know by Tuesday."
October 28: It's Monday and I get the dreaded call. "I'm sorry to inform you that we found cancer in your breast. You will be getting phone calls from a bazillion people soon." OK, thanks....
A few tears were shed but it is well with my soul.
October 29: Meet with some lady who proceeds to tell me what I'm going to be going through.
October 31: Meet with the radiologist and he tells me what I will be going through. Meet with the surgeon and he tells me what he's going to do. He tells me I'm young for breast cancer. What? 52 is young? Apparently it is for breast cancer Meet with the chemo Dr. and he tells me what he might do if I need chemo. He too, tells me I'm young for breast cancer. Nice.
November 5: MRI to see if there is more cancer somewhere else. There is. Behind the first mass. Small but it's there.
November 6: Surgery Day. In at 7:30 a.m. Get prepped and poked. Get a wheelchair ride to the Breast Center to get wires put in my breast so the surgeon knows to take out the crud between the wires. Yes they numbed it, but I still had some feeling. Yeeks! Very weird.
Back in my little waiting room and get a Valium. Wooooooo, that was nice for a little while. Perry has video. Pretty funny.
10:30 and I get wheeled to another Dr. to get 4 shots of dye around my nipple, so they can map my lymph nodes. They will take a few out in surgery to see if the cancer traveled there.
Surgeon comes in and tells me I'm next after a colonoscopy. I tell him to be sure he washes up good after.
1:00 and it's my turn for surgery. A few more tears, but it is still well with my soul. I get in the operating room, slide over on the table and some guy tells me he's going to give me oxygen. The mask goes on and I went out. A few hours later, I'm waking up in recovery and then I remember being back in my little waiting room. Lay there for 2 hours trying to get crackers down. I feel like puking, but I don't. I finally feel good enough to get dressed and go home. So I do.
November 7-13: Recovering nicely. No pain pills. Getting waited on. Food is brought over by many wonderful friends, and family.
November 14: Go to surgeon to get bandages removed. He tells me he went deep to take the masses out. And the one behind the bigger mass is a different kind of cancer. So it's called multi cancer. Yikes! That's quite the slice. From nipple to center of cleavage. (if I had one) Arm and armpit is numb and kind of painful to the touch from nerve damage. I have a port imbedded in my body in case I need chemo. But still...it is well with my soul.
So this is something that only happens to other people. But really...it's not. It's happening to me, and I will get through this with Jesus leading the way. I will not worry about tomorrow because tomorrow will worry about itself. Each day has enough trouble of its own. Matt 6:34.
The thing I've cried about the most is possible chemotherapy. I am not thrilled with the thought of such aweful poison being put in my body. I do not want to lose my hair. I do not want to be sick and tired. But what did I just write about what the Bible says? "Do not worry about tomorrow...".
November 21: I will see the chemo Dr. and he will tell me what he thinks after reading my pathology report. If there will be chemo, it will start one month after surgery and last about 6 months. A month after that, there will be radiation for 6 weeks. If no chemo, I will start radiation 1 month after surgery.
The days go on and I live each one as it comes. God knew this before He formed me. He knows the beginning of this, to the end. He will see me through no matter what is ahead of me. He is my Rock. I will stand on His Word. All the rest is sinking sand.
I am human, and I know bad days will come. But really, it IS well with my soul. It really is.
Thursday, November 14, 2013
Subscribe to:
Post Comments (Atom)



2 comments:
You're in my thoughts and my prayers
i'll be honest. i've been HORRIBLE at reading anyones blog.
but now i wish i wasn't!!! i'm speechless as i read this. and i stand in prayer with you for everything that you've endured and are enduring!
Post a Comment