
Friday morning after getting the girl's off to school, I came home, got on my bike and took a quick ride. I knew it was going to rain so I went a mile and a half, checked the clouds and turned around. I figured I could make it back another mile and a half before it rained. I did. I was home 5 minutes when a downpour came. Whew. I settled in to finish watching Gone with the Wind on Netflix, when the power went out. Then the winds came. And the heavy rains came. Then major winds came. Holy crap, nobody told me this was predicted. Then the tornado sirens started. OK do I go to the basement or go find my cat before I go? I went to look for my cat. I found her under my bed. Right in the middle where I can't reach her. I tried, but couldn't. I went to the basement, but came back up to try to get her again. Don't know why. If she wants to die under my bed let her. But I finally got her, and we went to the basement. Meanwhile the major storm is almost over. We sit down there for a few minutes and come back up to just heavy rains. About 30 minutes later it was all over and we went outside to see what the heck happened. Our patio table was flipped over and the glass top was shattered into a billion tiny pieces. That was all the damage we had. We go out to the front and see that our neighbors huge tree split in two. Missed their house by a few inches. Our other neighbor had a huge tree fall in their yard too. All over the neighborhood, branches and trees were down. In fact, all over the city and surrounding cities, trees were down and power was out.
The power at school wasn't out, so the kids stayed there all day. They were scared but did well. When nighttime came we got out the lanterns and candles and flashlights and settled down in the family room and played games. 3 of us did anyway. Perry pouted upstairs all night because he couldn't have his precious computer. We had a blast and slept on the floor downstairs to stay cooler. Saturday we still were without power but we handled it OK. We had a wedding to go to later in the afternoon, so being away from home was a blessing. Sunday we were still without power, but made it to church and after church Perry helped the neighbors saw down their tree. About 4 in the afternoon on Sunday our power finally came on. Woo-hoo! 56 hours without power. The girls were bummed. They loved the power being out. I didn't mind it either. I noticed the neighbors come out of their homes and chat with all the other neighbors. It was real nice. Everyone was willing to help out others as needed. I think the only thing I really missed was my hairdryer. I only threw a few things out from the freezer that melted, but it was getting old anyway. I finished watching Gone with the Wind. Today, on Labor Day, the sun is shining and I am laboring with doing wash, and vacuuming and other stuff that requires electricity. I will enjoy using my hairdryer later.



4 comments:
So glad you guys are okay and glad your power is back on. I would have had a serious case of withdrawal from electric stuff without power for that long.
I'm glad y'all are alright & glad your power is back on.
I'd probably be going through computer withdrawal myself :-)
Glad you guys are safe!! We went 143 hours without power back in April! NO FUN!!!
Glad everything was ok!
Post a Comment