Monday, August 15, 2011

From 4 to 2

Abby finally let go of her training wheels and is now a 2 wheeled biker.
She was never interested in bike riding until this summer started. I thought that at age 6.5 she should be able to ride a two wheeler, so I tried to teach her on Phoebe's bike. She couldn't figure out how to balance and after a while she would get frustrated and quit. She said she would NEVER be able to ride a two wheeler. But I kept on with her throughout the summer. As of last week, she was still at NEVER riding a 2 wheeled bike. Last night the girls were biking up and down the street, then Abby changed over to riding her scooter. I saw she could balance pretty good on that, so I told her to get on Phoebe's bike and pretend it was her scooter. She wasn't getting it. I asked Perry to help her a little. He told her to keep her eyes ahead of her and took a run up the street with her. He came back in a minute huffing and puffing. So I took over again and this time Phoebe told her that her feet are lava and if she looks down, her eyes will burn. She kept her eyes up, I ran a few feet holding the bike then let go. Away she went, with the whole time Phoebe yelling at her that her feet are lava.

A little wobbly at first, but she was off. We forgot to tell her how to stop, so she just hit the curb and went down. She practiced her turns and had that down in no time.

She is one happy little girl. She went from NEVER learning how to ride a bike 1 week ago, to zipping up and down the street and even around the block in about 15 minutes.

She learned 1 month before her 7th birthday. Phoebe learned 2 months after her 7th birthday. Better late than NEVER.



4 comments:

He & Me + 3 said...

Yeah! Way to go Abby! You are a bike rider! Woo hoo. That is awesome. I love it when the kids meet new milestones and Bike riding is definitely a big one!

Bridget said...

WOOHOO Abby!! Way to go!!

Sandra said...

The longer they're on four wheels, the longer they go without bumped up knees and elbows! She seems so very proud! Another milestone!

~Mistee~ said...

When Emma started riding her bike with no training wheels, I couldn't stand to watch. Made me a nervous wreck! I dunno what I am gonna do when she is driving a car!!

I am going to show this to Emma so she know's she is not the only kid in the whole world who has to wear a helmet! :0) Thanks for the help on that one! :0)

Way to go Abby!!